Image: Destinee Arnold
Righteous Reflections: Let’s take a stroll down memory lane and engage in a Crowning Conversation about Righteous Roots with Destinee Arnold, who was crowned Miss Universe Belize in 2019.
Grab some cocoa, start deep conditioning your hair, put on some warm socks, and let’s get into it.
From Heat-Damaged to Curl Heaven: How a Miss Universe Reclaimed Her Heat-Damaged Hair.
1. Can you share your natural hair journey and what inspired you to embrace your natural texture?
When the natural hair movement started to hit mainstream social media, I was able to notice the extent of my curl damage. I was inspired by the hair journey of my fellow Belizean Joyjah and became motivated to join a hair journey of my own. I wanted to take care of the natural hair pattern God gave me & knew that there were lifestyle changes that needed to be implement. Once my mind was set, I started my research and experimentation with different natural lines. Through my exploration and presence on social media, I was able to connect with Righteous Roots at the onset of my natural hair journey. I have alternates between many different lines throughout my journey, but Righteous Roots hair oil has always been a constant.
2. How did you first learn about Righteous Roots, and what made you decide to try it?
I learned about Righteous Roots through instagram. They were responsive to their direct messages and offered a wealth of knowledge and resources to help me along my hair journey. The oil contained all of the needed oils in one bottle instead of me having to formulate my own concoction. The convenience alone was enough to make me try it.
3. Over the years of using Righteous Roots, how has your hair care routine evolved?
Over the years Righteous Roots has transitioned into each stage of my life seamlessly. Initially it helped me repair my heat and color damaged hair, it maintained the health of my hair while I competed at Miss Universe, and helped me recover from my postpartum hair loss. My trust in the line has evolved rather than my routine because of its ability to assimilate to my needs during different stages of life.
4. In what ways have you noticed Righteous Roots benefiting your hair health and texture?
It has helped me retain my length, stimulate growth when I was focused on growing length, and maintained the overall health of my hair by providing needed moisture.
5. What specific hair problems were you facing, and how has Righteous Roots helped in addressing them?
My hair does not retain moisture well and righteous roots provides a significant amount of moisture. In addition, it helped stimulate growth and contributed to my scalp health when I was experiencing hair shedding.
6. Hair porosity plays a significant role in product effectiveness. What is your hair’s porosity, and how does Righteous Roots work with it?
I have low porosity hair which means my hair does not retain moisture well. When I scalp massage in the shower, I am able to feed my hair moisture while the hair follicle is more open to accept moisture. In addition, I am able to add a layer of moisture to my ends throughout the week to maintain my curl’s shine.
7. Could you walk us through a step-by-step guide on how you apply Righteous Roots to your hair?
I pour a line of oil on my finger tips while in the shower and massage my scalp. Afterwards I follow my washing and conditioning routine with the Righteous Roots shampoo and conditioner. I do not wash the conditioner out and detangle my hair due to the conditioner providing excellent slip. My detangling time has significantly decreased since incorporating the Righteous Roots conditioner. Once detangled, I apply a curl cream and scrunch my curls with gel in the palm of my hand. After I diffuse my hair dry, I scrunch my hair again with a line of Righteous Roots hair oil in the palm of my hand.
If I want extra moisture, I add righteous roots to my scalp and then apply my deep conditioner to my hair. Afterwards I put a plastic cap on and sit under a heating cap for 30 minutes before washing the deep conditioner out. I end the routine with following my styling routine.
8. Have you incorporated Righteous Roots into any unique or unconventional hair care practices?
I combine the green tea method with then hair oil in order to combat hair shedding and stimulate growth at the same time.
9. What changes, if any, have you noticed in the manageability and styling of your hair since using Righteous Roots?
I am able to detangle my hair in a significantly less time because of the slip the conditioner provides.
10. Do you use Righteous Roots differently in varying seasons or climates?
No, I’m able to apply my same method despite the season or climate.
11. How do you integrate Righteous Roots into protective styles, if at all?
I don’t do protective styling, but if I did, I would definitely incorporate Righteous Roots for my scalpel and ends.
12. What’s your favorite way to use Righteous Roots, and why do you prefer this method?
I love to use the oil as a moisturizer for my ends and to scalp massage. Using the conditioner as a detangled and moisture base is also my favorite.
13. Have you recommended Righteous Roots to others? If so, what feedback have you received from them?
I recommend it to anyone who asks for natural hair product recommendations. Those who have tried it love using it for their scalp, notice an increase in hair growth and thickness, lastly the ability of their hair to retain moisture.
14. In terms of hair growth and scalp health, what improvements have you observed while using Righteous Roots?
I have treated my dry scalp issues and have been able to recover my edges from the postpartum shedding.
15. With a multitude of hair products on the market, what makes Righteous Roots stand out to you after years of use?
The versatility, dependability, and consistent quality ingredients have withstood the test of time and different stages of life.